Last night we had a full house for the first seminar in QTEC’s ‘Start something: From Benchtop to Business’ series. The format of the session was a panel discussion on entrepreneurial motivation, with a 5 founders from the local area.
The panel was hosted by Yuri Andersson of Nabla Ventures, with guests-
- Steve Kitson, Founder and CEO of Folium Optics
- Ingrid Chauvet, Founder and Director of Rise Structures
- Iouri Prokhorov Founder and Managing Director of Helastel
- Andrew Smith Chief Operations Officer of Fathom
This session focused on the motivation that drives an entrepreneur to take an idea and/or technology (university or otherwise) and turn it into a growth business by examining cases from people who have transformed an idea to a successful venture.
We then had a panel discussion with the 5 founders, who discussed their experiences over their combined years of running businesses, and fielded questions from the room. Topics included choosing a Co-Founder (the response – be very careful), separating your professional life from your work life, and the value of mentors and incubation programmes to new entrepreneurs.
The evening was rounded off with drinks and an opportunity to network with the founders and entrepreneurs in the building. The feedback from everyone who attended was extremely positive, and we look forward to hosting the next event in the series, ‘Opportunity, size it and seize it’ on Tuesday 7th November.
About Start Something
Start Something is a series of 8 events for people who want to:
- Find out how they can develop their business idea
- Learn the ‘how to’ by developing basic business skills
- Explore the entrepreneur inside
- Build skills needed for entry to business creation competitions & external programmes
- Network with experienced and successful entrepreneurs
To sign up for future ‘Start Something’ events, please sign up at the Eventbrite page here.